The Reeve’s Tale magazine website 

 

BAWDESWELL'S CHURCHES THROUGH THE AGES

Medieval

The Rectors of Bawdeswell are recorded back to the year 1313, but foundations of an earlier perhaps 1100 oratory are underneath.

In 1739 the tower fell down and ruined the church. The four bells were sold to raise money to re-build the church and a brick tower was built.

In 1828 the tower fell down again.

Victorian

In 1843 the Medieval church was in such a bad state that it was decided to attempt to raise a fund to build a new one. At a public meeting it was agreed to levy a 6d rate on the parish raising 150 towards the estimated cost of 1400 the remainder of which was met by donations.

1955 Neo -Georgian

In 1944 a Mosquito aircraft returning from a mission over Germany, iced-up on its way back to Bexwell aerodrome at Downham Market and losing height, crashed into the Victorian church and destroyed it.

The crew, P O James Mclean and Sgt Melvin Tansley, died.

The War Damages Commission rebuilt the church in 1953 to a Neo-Georgian design by J Fletcher Watson, a Norwich architect.

In 1999 the parish completed the church with the installation of a tower clock. This was paid for by the parishioners, well-wishers and with the help of a grant from the District Council.

Related Links:

       ILLUSTRATED GUIDEBOOK IN COLOUR

        THE PLANE CRASH

 

        WAR MEMORIAL

 

        LIST OF RECTORS SINCE 1313

 

        CHURCH RECORDS

 

        FRIENDS OF THE CHURCH

 

        PARISH BOUNDARY

 

        From The Church of England’s “A Church Near You” – our web pages

 

        TINDALL’S Life of Jesus