The Reeve’s Tale magazine website
The Stoughton Family and Bawdeswell Hall
The ancient family of Stoughton (dating back to 1096) hailed from Stoughton Park near Guildford in Surrey where they were lords of the manor for 20 generations.
Stoughton is described in the Domesday Book and a 500 page account of the Stoughtons written by Sir Nicholas Stoughton in the 17th century is also in the British Museum.
Over a period of twelve centuries Stoughton has been a name of a district, a village, a manor, a parish and a ward and was until 1904 quite separate from Guildford.
Bawdeswell Hall was owned by the Stoughtons for nearly 100 years. The Rev James Stoughton (3rd son of Peter Stoughton of Runhal Hall) was Rector of Sparham in Norfolk for 50 years and married the daughter and heir of Col Lloyd of Bawdeswell Hall in 1806. They had five children born at Bawdeswell. Lloyd Stoughton was the last of that family to own it before it was sold to the Gurney family in 1912.